Monday, April 8, 2013

red curry chicken


Miles and I have been on a major Thai kick lately.

As in, takeout.

Such a delicious habit. Not so much a healthy one.

So, when I saw this lovely recipe for red curry, I knew I had to give it a try. And it was just seriously great. So hearty, so healthy! Our local place doesn't put sweet potatoes in their curry, and now that I've had this I just wonder why?! Sweet potatoes + curry = perfect.

This comes together quickly once all these beautiful veggies are chopped.


No excuse for takeout tonight. Homemade Thai FTW!

Red Curry Chicken (adapted from Eat Live Run)
serves 4

you'll need:
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 tablespoons red curry paste
1 teaspoon ginger powder
3 cups coconut milk
1 cup water
2 baby bok choy, chopped
1 cup chopped sugar snap peas
1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick pieces
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 teaspoons fish sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt
cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)

Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 1-2 minutes per side (chicken won't be cooked all the way through). Stir in the curry paste and ginger and cook for 2 more minutes.

Pour in the coconut milk and water, then add the bok choy, bell pepper, sugar snap peas and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer. Stir in fish sauce, salt, lime juice and sugar. Continue simmering over low heat until veggies are soft (about 10-15 minutes).

And that's it! Serve over brown rice, if you like. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Thai kick! It's all I've been craving lately! This looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! We cannot get enough these days!

      Delete
  2. So I actually have never had red curry. You are inspiring me to try it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you do try it - let me know if you do! :)

      Delete
  3. I love thai food and made pad thai for the first time recently...this is the kind of curry we'd always order when we used to go to Williamsburg, Bklyn, for Thai food. I have to try making it myself one day. Your recipe sounds really easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, it was SO simple... much more than I would have anticipated! Love that you made pad thai at home - that's definitely my next Thai food project! My husband LOVES it. :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE curry, so this sounds absolutely fabulous. I will have to make a vegetarian version and use tofu in place of the chicken! :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...