Monday, May 5, 2014

let's talk summer reading!

via
I think it's time we talked about books again!

Summer is coming up, and I couldn't be more excited for more time to read. Summer reading is simply the best. I like to read on my porch early in the morning, before the Texas sun makes it unbearable. Poolside reading is a must. (Though reading on the beach is obviously preferred.)

What do you like to read in the summer? Like most people, I like to go a little lighter, and I also love to re-read my most beloved books. Here are some books I'm hoping to read this summer, along with some old favorites here and there.

Bread and Butter by Michelle Wildgen seems like the perfect summer read.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen. I've heard the best things about this.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver. I've read these stories more times than I can count, and they stun me with their quiet beauty every time. 

The Circle by Dave Eggers. I love everything this man writes.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. The first time I read this it was during the summertime, and it always seems to tug at me again this time of year.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. I'm reading this right now and it's just got me.

Flappers & Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I absolutely love these stories.

A Severed Head by Iris Murdoch. Oh, this lady. I read The Sea, The Sea in college and it destroyed my literary heart in the best way. It's time I get back to her.

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. I just finished this and really loved it.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I fell in love with Strayed last summer when I read Tiny Beautiful Things.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Best. book. ever. It will change your life, for real.

So, dears, what is on your summer reading list? I'd love to hear so I can start loading up my Amazon cart now. :)

Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I always think I want to re-read old favorites but hardly ever do. Thanks for all these great suggestions. May have to check out Bread and Butter first - predictably, I'm interested in any book food-related. Ruth Riechl has a new novel out that I want to check out and I want to read Delancey from Molly at Orangette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread & Butter is totally at the top of my list too! And thanks for the recommendations! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely list Marie! I love that you've included classics with some good looking new stuff. I'm reading Wild soon, but think I'll also give some of your recommends a try. Just finished Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! And thanks for the suggestion! xo

      Delete
  3. Oooh thank you for these! I'll be at the beach THIS WEEK and I need to pick out a few books to bring! :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...