Monday, February 18, 2013

feta and chive sour cream biscuits


I don't even need to tell you how I feel about these. Y'all know me well enough to know.

Once, when I was little and first learning to talk, my mom made some fudge around Christmastime. This was my first time experiencing the greatness that is fudge around Christmastime. She says I was so obsessed with it that she would wake me up in the morning or from a nap, I would look at her, and just say, "fudge." I was quite focused for a little one.

And that, friends, is how I feel about these biscuits.

Feta and Chive Sour Cream Biscuits (from Joy the Baker)
makes 12 biscuits

you'll need:
3 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons cold water
3/4 sour cream, cold
1/3 cup chopped chives
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 egg beaten for egg wash
sea salt, cracked black pepper, and smoked paprika for topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Cut in butter using your fingers or a pastry cutter until mixture is coarse and crumbly. In another bowl, combine egg, sour cream, and water. Add to flour mixture, stirring just enough to form a soft, shaggy dough. Add the chives and feta. Use your hands to knead dough in the bowl 8-12 times, until it comes together.

Pat out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter or cut into 2x2 inch squares. Reshape and roll dough to create more biscuits with leftover scraps. Place on prepared baking sheets.

Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve warm!

9 comments:

  1. yum! never thought to put feta in biscuits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't ever tried it either, but it turned out super yummy!!

      Delete
  2. These are dreamy. As in, I'm dreaming of having them for breakfast right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) They are perfect for breakfast! Or anytime really... :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are obviously a woman who knows what she wants... biscuits and fudge. Yeah, I get that.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. Not too much to ask! :)

      Delete
  4. I love seeing all the beautiful flaky layers in your biscuits - I want one now! I just bought a biscuit cutter and need to use it soon - your recipe may be the first one that I try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you definitely should try these with your new biscuit cutter! I am a biscuit fiend and these are my favorites in quite a while. Let me know if you do end up trying it out! :)

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...