Monday, March 25, 2013

alice waters's cream biscuits


Hello again, biscuits!

These are absolutely fabulous, simple, perfect biscuits. Y'all know I usually like to trick my biscuits up a little, but sometimes you just want a classic. And these are classic. Do you expect anything less from Ms. Waters?

These are great with any meal, but come summertime I will for sure be making these for my absolute favorite summer dessert: strawberry shortcake. I'll get back to you later on that.

For now, let's just make these glorious biscuits!

Alice Waters's Cream Biscuits (adapted from The Art of Simple Food)
yields 6 biscuits

you'll need:
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small pieces
3/4 plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream (no substituting here... live a little)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Cut butter into mixture using your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the butter is the size of peas. Pour in 3/4 cup heavy cream and lightly mix together until just combined. Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Lightly knead dough just one or two times and press it down to 3/4 inches thick. Cut out biscuits using a biscuits cutter or a knife and set on baking sheet.

Brush the tops of the biscuits with remaining tablespoon of heavy cream. Bake for 17-20 minutes, until biscuits are lightly golden.

Hope y'all enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Tempting me with more biscuits Ms Kitchie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love biscuits-these look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound heavenly. I love seeing all the beautiful flaky layers in your biscuits - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading a biography on Alice Waters - what a story - and it's definitely got me curious abuot her food. I'm sure these biscuits will be great in a shortcake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love her so much! If you haven't read The Art of Simple Food, I highly suggest it!!

      Delete
  5. These look perfectly flaky!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh these are looking so good to me right now!! I have never made biscuits at home before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl you gotta try these then!! Super easy and so worth a little extra effort!

      Delete
  7. It's always good to have a tried and true biscuit recipe in your back pocket...and these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My. These look wonderful. I love homemade biscuits! I obviously need to add these to my to-make list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rach! I love them too - such a great comfort food!

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...