Monday, May 20, 2013

fiesta quinoa bowl


Life right now... it's a little insane.

As a teacher, May is always the craziest month. It's full of programs, field trips, final tests and, of course, the anticipation of summer ahead.

It's easy, no fuss dishes like this one that help me out in May. This Mexican-inspired vegan dish is simple and delicious, and perfect for healthy lunches all week long.

Here's to feel-good food and powering through!

Fiesta Quinoa Bowl
serves 4

you'll need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped small onion
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 seeded and chopped jalapeno
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
dash of cayenne
1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
for serving: lime wedges, cilantro, sliced jalapenos (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and spices. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until onions and peppers are softening. Add black beans, corn, quinoa, and vegetable broth and turn the heat up to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat to simmer. Cook uncovered until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, and sliced jalapenos, and enjoy!

Follow on Bloglovin

19 comments:

  1. I love quinoa and I usually just cook it in water and then toss it with some toasted almonds and maybe some veggies. I love all the good stuff in your quinoa bowl. I have to try it! (PS - thanks for being a teacher. I don't know how you guys do it! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much for your encouragement, Monica! :)

      Delete
  2. Mexican-inspired quinoa is the BEST!! Yum :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat meals like this everyday. I hope after May your life settles down a little bit and maybe time to meet in person?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things calm down for you soon and summer comes quickly for you! This looks so good...I need to start making some quinoa dishes at home. It's been on my list of things to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I hope you give it a try - it's so easy, healthy, and yummy!

      Delete
  5. I think this is going to be on the menu à ma maison very soon. Where would we (and our kids) be with out teachers. All power to you Little Kitchie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement Jen! :) Hope you like this dish!

      Delete
  6. Quinoa isn't one of my favorite foods, but you actually make it look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! I only recently started really getting into it, but it took me a while! For me the key is just using it in the right dishes - and not overcooking it :)

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful Mexican-inspired twist to quinoa! The recipe sounds so simple and easy, yet delicious! Will definitely give this a try - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, Trisha! Thanks for stopping by and commenting - just checked out your site and I am in LOVE!

      Delete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous, Marie! I love all the zesty, colorful flavors you added and look forward to trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is BEAUTIFUL! I love it! Dinner tomorrow for sure!
    I didn't know you were a teacher! My sister teaches 4th grade. And May is bananas. Good luck on your last couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heather! :) I hope you like it!! And thanks for the encouragement regarding school - we're in the home stretch! Best of luck to your sister!!

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...