Thursday, May 16, 2013

gwyneth paltrow's teriyaki chicken


Here's the teriyaki chicken I served with the best brussels sprouts, which kind of made this the best meal.

Looking at the title of this post, you probably either got really excited or did an epic eye roll. I know Gwyneth has a lot of haters. But I'm just not one. This blondie has brought me some awesome meals lately from her new cookbook, It's All Good, which focuses on clean eating and is completely gluten-free. I've tried 4 or 5 recipes from it since my sweet friend Megan gave it to me for my birthday, and every single one has been totally delicious AND totally good for us. Only love for Gwynnie over here.

This is definitely going to be in regular rotation in our home. It is so flavorful (the teriyaki sauce is to die for) and also so simple. You'd never guess in one million years that this fits into an elimination diet, is considered a detox meal, and is super low-fat, because this is the best teriyaki chicken EVER. That's what you call a win-win.

Gwyneth Paltrow's Teriyaki Chicken, slightly adapted from It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great
serves 4

for the sauce, you'll need:
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup raw honey
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon barley miso
1 teaspoon mirin
1 tablespoon water

for the chicken, you'll need:
olive oil
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
3 thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
A handful of roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish

Combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, ginger and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 10 minus. Stir in the miso, mirin and water. Take off heat and allow to cool a bit.

Marinate the chicken in half of the sauce for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.

Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until chicken is completely cooked through.

To serve, drizzle remaining sauce over chicken and sprinkle with scallions and cilantro. Enjoy!

Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. I love teriyaki chicken. This looks like a great recipe, regardless of who the author is! (I don't dislike Gwyneth)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ridiculous how much people love to hate on GP. I just dislike haters in general. Can I admit that I only just recently started making my own teriyaki sauce. I make teriyaki salmon a lot and figured I really had to start making my own. Now, this sounds really awesome! I'd love to try it but I have to track down barley miso first! (Btw, have you ever tried Bruce Paltrow's "famous" buttermilk pancake recipe from the first book? It's one of my favorite breakfast foods! Soo light and delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely shortcut it and do bottled teriyaki sauce sometimes, but homemade really is better, and you actually know what's in it! On barley miso, I found mine in the Asian foods aisle at Whole Foods. You'd also find it at any Asian grocery or market. Any kind of miso would work though, so use what you can get your hands on!

      I haven't tried those pancakes, but they sound delicious! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Delete
  3. I've always thought about buying her cookbook. I'm glad to hear you think it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend it highly! Everything I've tried has been excellent!

      Delete
  4. Wow this looks so delish! I'm always looking for a new healthy chicken recipe. Can't wait to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks so delish! I'm always looking for a new healthy chicken recipe. Can't wait to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! This definitely fits the bill - I hope you like it!

      Delete
  6. I've been eyeing-off this recipe. Glad to get your recommendation - yours looks delish. I don't believe in detox, but I do believe in great food, and I think this cookbook diffidently delivers in that department. I've loved everything I've made from it so far - gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it Jen! I absolutely loved it. Totally agree on the cookbook - aside from all health claims, it's just plain good food!

      Delete
  7. The first time I ever roasted a chicken, I think it was with one of Gwynnie's recipes! She has some great ones and I bet this is no exception. Thanks so much for sharing, Marie. I'd love to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't hate her either and can't figure out why so many do. She's talented, fit and pretty - maybe that's it, they're jealous of her.

    Anyway my family loves chicken teriyaki and I'd live this for lunch wrapped in a tortilla with brown rice. Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I love the idea of this wrapped up in a tortilla! Going to do that next time I make it - thanks for the idea! :)

      Delete
  9. I had no idea that she had released a cookbook! I love that it's all Gluten free. I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it!! I think you would love it, and every recipe I've tried has been completely fabulous!

      Delete
  10. I've been wanting to buy that book! This might have tipped my purse in that direction! Seriously gorgeous dish-- and my kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend the book - every dish has been simple, delicious and healthy! Can't beat that!

      Delete
  11. This looks so delish! I hear so many good things about Gwyneth's dishes but I haven't tried any of them yet. This looks like a great one to start with. :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...