Thursday, June 6, 2013

vegan coconut muffins


Time for another Leftovers Club post! This month, I was paired with Joanne from Eats Well With Others, whose site is full of amazing recipes (how gorgeous is this strawberry-rhubarb tart?!). I was lucky enough to get some delicious rosemary shortbread from Joanne in the mail - be sure to pop over there for the recipe!

I sent Joanne these super easy, super yummy vegan coconut muffins. These are incredibly moist and tender (and seemed to get more so day after day). They make a perfect breakfast or snack for any time! And, unlike many vegan baking recipes, no fancy pants ingredients here - these are as simple as it gets!



Vegan Coconut Muffins
yields 12 muffins

you'll need:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 sugar (I used coconut sugar, but regular is fine)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil (can substitute vegetable oil)
1 large banana, mashed
1/3 cup coconut milk (or any non-dairy milk you like)
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 cup flaked coconut, plus more for topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 muffins cups or line with liners.

Mix together flours, sugars, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder. Add coconut oil, banana, coconut milk and stir until just combined. Fold in lime zest and flaked coconut.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full and top with flaked coconut. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Muffins will keep up to a week well-covered. Enjoy!!


Check out all of the recipes from The Leftovers Club this month!

19 comments:

  1. what a great looking recipe, and post! Can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, These sound a-mazing!! I love the list of ingredients and can just see in my head how delicious these must be!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, you've got me thinking about baking with coconut milk! I'm not a huge fan of coconut per se but adore coconut milk but have never used it in baking, only for Asian dessert soups. I love the photo of your cupcake! Joanne was a lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! I use coconut milk very often in baking, and love the results. I use full-fat unsweetened and it works beautifully!

      Delete
  4. I just made coconut cookies! Great minds think alike! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! And to think that I used to think I didn't like coconut..silly me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well if you like it now, you'll love these!!

      Delete
  6. I love everything about these... that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coconut more and more all the time. I've never baked with coconut milk before but I do have some in my pantry that I wasn't sure what to do with! I'd love to try these out..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think coconut milk is fabulous in baking! Let me know if you give it a try! Have a great weekend, love!

      Delete
  8. Love this recipe. We tried to bake with coconut flour, and it was a disaster. Coconut sugar would be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Coconut sugar is awesome - as far as I've seen, it works just like regular sugar in baking!

      Delete
  9. Great taste but not enough liquid, I added another 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 3/4 cups water.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...