Monday, October 28, 2013

bbq turkey meatballs


Oh, how I love this meal. When my dear friend Cara (who is expecting a baby girl in just a couple weeks!) gave me The Pioneer Woman cookbook years ago, she wrote a note in there that I had to try the meatballs. With so many amazing recipes in the book, I knew this one had to be really good if she'd singled it out. And she was. so. right. These are pure comfort food, and who doesn't love that? I lightened them up a bit by using turkey, but we've made them with beef several times as well and it's fantastic. As would, I imagine, anything be that's covered in this spicy, tangy, addictive sauce.

BBQ Turkey Meatballs (adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)
serves 3-4

you'll need:
3/4 lbs. ground turkey
1/3 cup quick oats
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
1/3 cup minced onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
couple dashes of Tabasco (or more or less if you'd like!)

In a bowl, combine the turkey, oats, milk, 1 tablespoon onion, salt, and black pepper. Stir with a fork to combine everything together. Roll the mixture into tablespoon-size balls and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes to firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge the meatballs in the flour, shaking off the excess. Brown the meatballs until lightly browned on all sides (You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your skillet). As they brown, place them into a baking dish.

In a medium bowl, stir together ketchup, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, the remaining onion, and Tabasco. Drizzle the sauce evenly on the meatballs in the baking dish.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly and hot. Serve over buttered egg noodles or alongside mashed potatoes. Yum!

Follow on Bloglovin

24 comments:

  1. Anything BBQ and I'm sold.. these look too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look good! I can imagine that tangy sauce and since I'm practically hooked on ketchup, this is for me. : ) And I love the Pioneer Woman's shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce is my favorite part! Thanks Monica! :)

      Delete
  3. Marie,
    What a great idea this is, Marie!! Thank you for sharing and hoping you have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Monday girl! These meatballs look fabulous, perfect dinner night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have mad all of PW's meat ball recipes and they're amazing!! These are one of my faves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm this would make a tasty appetizer too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Total comfort food for me. I can go for a big bowl of just meatballs. YUM! :) Great recipe Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we're on the same page with the meatballs!! I've been craving them like it's my job lately :) Love the BBQ version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's definitely time for cozy food just like this! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Pioneer Woman and these meatballs look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach!! Love her too - and her new cookbook comes out today!

      Delete
  11. These meatballs look delish! I love the Pioneer Woman. These will make for a perfect appetizer. :)
    Tina at www.tinaschic.com

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...