Wednesday, October 23, 2013

crockpot vegetarian quinoa chili


As the weather cools down and the holidays start approaching, there's a bounty of comfort food and dessert recipes. And while I am not one to mind that at all, I find that I need some inspiration for lighter, healthier meals this time of year. If you're feeling the same way, this dish is for you; and even if you're not feeling the same way, this dish is for you!

This is honestly one of my favorite chilis I've ever made, plus it's vegetarian, healthy, and so easy you'll think you forgot to do something. The directions go something like this: put everything in your crockpot, walk away for as long as you want, ladle into bowls and top however you like. How great does that sound? And if you're worried about serving this to any carnivores in your home, don't be; my meat-loving husband devoured two bowls of this with nothing but high praise. :)

Crockpot Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
serves 6

you'll need:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
for garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado

Place all ingredients (except garnishes) in slow cooker and stir together. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish as desired. Enjoy!

Follow on Bloglovin

35 comments:

  1. YUM! Do you think that barley would do well in the crockpot as a substitute for quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should work beautifully! Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  2. Talking about qunioa chili, I need to restock quinoa ASAP. Since getting back to the States and with this cold weather in D-Town, I am all about comfort food. And why have we not met yet :( need to change that Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! Speaking of chili, I'm dying to try that white chicken chili you posted!!

      Delete
  4. This recipe has everything! Crockpot, cozy, and healthy! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds absolutely perfect! I will definitely be trying this out. I have never had quinoa in my chili before, but I can only imagine how tasty that would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! The quinoa lends a great texture. Let me know how you like it! :)

      Delete
  6. Loving this crockpot recipe, have got to try this.. can't say no to chili!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a truly filling vegetarian meal! I need some ideas for quinoa and this sounds GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just pinned it! I am excited to make this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have *got* to make this. Sounds incredibly easy and a terrific, healthy dish for dinner. I'm still marveling at how easy this is! I just need a few things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
    2. Marie, I made this today! It's warming in the crock pot waiting for dinner but I took a taste, and it is delicious. I love having another great recipe for my slow-cooker. On days and nights like these when it gets dark so quick, I just love having a big pot of tasty food waiting. Thank you for sharing all these great recipes...I wish I had time to cook them all! : )

      Delete
    3. Yay, so glad y'all are trying it!! Thanks for letting me know! xo

      Delete
  10. I always appreciate a lighter and healthier meal idea when all I am craving is the "bad" stuff when the weather is cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fabulous chili for chilly nights, Marie! I'd love to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Georgia! Let me know if you give it a try! :)

      Delete
  12. Oooh, I like the idea of adding quinoa into chili. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made a quinoa chili before but it had meat in it...dying to try this, esp bc I can use the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! Let me know if you give it a try!

      Delete
  14. I love chili around this time of the year. This sounds delicious Marie! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds perfect for this time of year-I love lightened up comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reed & I made this for dinner today and it's SO good! We are doing a fast where you can't have meat, dairy, sugar, and yeast, so this was perfect! I did leave out the sugar, but it still taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was AWESOME!!!!! I've been trying to add more quinoa to our meal plan and this was the ticket for Meatless Monday. The flavor is very good - even my kids loved it and they aren't big chili fans. Thanks! Going straight into the Keeper file.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...